January 16, 2012

Our Christmas Decor

Yes, I am way behind on blog posts.  So back to December we go!  We stayed home this Christmas and enjoyed decorating our little home for the holidays.  The past few years we have only done a very minimal amount of decorating.  This was our first year to do a tree, lights, stockings, etc.


Jeff and I both grew up in homes with real Christmas trees and colored lights, so we wanted to carry on those traditions for our children.  We had fun decorating our tree and then enjoyed it's beauty and pleasant aroma for an entire month. We loved turning off all the lights, plugging in the tree, and sitting in the living room in the evenings.
This is the tree that we have used every Christmas since we were married.  Even though we put up a big tree this year, we had to put out our special little tree too!

I had been wanting to make stockings the past few years, but always ran out of time before Christmas. This year I finally made some!  These are patterned after the stockings my mother made before I was born and that hang every Christmas from my parents' mantel.  I loved unpacking our stockings and hanging them up every year as a child.  Seeing these hanging in our home now, brings back fond childhood Christmas memories.

Before I married, my mom collected various holiday decor, and gave me a huge bag full for a wedding gift.  It was one of my favorite gifts! I love this Merry Christmas wall hanging she gave us, and wanted a fun place to hang it.  I couldn't find a spot for it on a wall, but love how it looks hanging here on our fireplace!

One afternoon Jonathan and I made these little pom pom garlands to hang in the kitchen window.  We have been working on learning his colors, and I was hoping this little craft would help him learn red, white, and green.  No such luck, to this day pink remains the only color he consistently gets right.

This is one of my favorite picture frames!  I am embarrassed to say that it has been hanging empty on the wall for quite some time.  To add another touch of Christmas around the house I printed out the word "Joy" on some Christmasey paper and placed them in the frame.
We gave this Little People Christmas nativity to the kids on December 1st and they LOVED playing with it all month.  We packed it up with the Christmas decorations and I am already looking forward to pulling it out again each year.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love your decor! I might have to commission you to make us some stockings for next year! I seem to be awful at sewing.