I have been meaning to write a post about our cloth diapers for some time now, and I am finally getting around to doing it :-)
Why cloth? Our number 1 reason for cloth diapering is to save money. Lord willing, we desire to have more children, and by buying cloth diapers with our first child and using them for any children that follow, we could save quite a bit of money. Did you know disposables cost approximately $1800-$2300 (this site breaks it down for you) per child! Cloth diapering costs vary depending on what type of diaper you buy, and there are A LOT of options out there! The diapers we are using cost us less than $200. You do have some added expenses for laundering with the cloth diapers, but your total cost of cloth diapers and laundering is still no where as high as disposables. Other reasons to cloth diaper - they are much better for the environment, they are really cute, they hold in messes much better than disposables (I think we have only had to change an outfit from a blowout once with our cloth diapers, compared to the multiple times we have had to change outfits do to blowouts with the disposables), and they don't have any of the harmful chemicals found in disposables. For convenience sake, we do use disposables for traveling and for Sundays.
We are using the Flip Cloth Diapering System, and we LOVE it! The Flip cover is a one size cover, which means it will adjust from 7-35lbs = will fit newborn through potty training = saves money = happy momma and daddy! The Flip has two different insert options; the Stay Dry inserts or the Organic Prefolds. I ordered one of each to try before making a decision - I REALLY like the Organic Prefolds and I don't care much at all for the Stay Dry insert. With the Flip system, unless the cover gets some poop on it, you simply remove the wet/dirty insert, and you can reuse the cover with a clean insert.
Our diaper stash = we have 5 Flip covers, 13 Organic Flip prefolds, 1 Flip Stay Dry insert (don't like it and almost never use it), 1 Econobum cover with an accompanying prefold (I do like this system, but no as much as the Flip), 1 Grobaby one size cover with snap in soaker pad (I received this set for free, and I DO NOT LIKE IT; we only use it as a back up when all our other diapers are in the wash), 1 dozen unbleached Chinese prefolds (we use these with our Flip covers), 3 dozen homemade flannel wipes, and a Snappi .
Why cloth? Our number 1 reason for cloth diapering is to save money. Lord willing, we desire to have more children, and by buying cloth diapers with our first child and using them for any children that follow, we could save quite a bit of money. Did you know disposables cost approximately $1800-$2300 (this site breaks it down for you) per child! Cloth diapering costs vary depending on what type of diaper you buy, and there are A LOT of options out there! The diapers we are using cost us less than $200. You do have some added expenses for laundering with the cloth diapers, but your total cost of cloth diapers and laundering is still no where as high as disposables. Other reasons to cloth diaper - they are much better for the environment, they are really cute, they hold in messes much better than disposables (I think we have only had to change an outfit from a blowout once with our cloth diapers, compared to the multiple times we have had to change outfits do to blowouts with the disposables), and they don't have any of the harmful chemicals found in disposables. For convenience sake, we do use disposables for traveling and for Sundays.
We are using the Flip Cloth Diapering System, and we LOVE it! The Flip cover is a one size cover, which means it will adjust from 7-35lbs = will fit newborn through potty training = saves money = happy momma and daddy! The Flip has two different insert options; the Stay Dry inserts or the Organic Prefolds. I ordered one of each to try before making a decision - I REALLY like the Organic Prefolds and I don't care much at all for the Stay Dry insert. With the Flip system, unless the cover gets some poop on it, you simply remove the wet/dirty insert, and you can reuse the cover with a clean insert.
Our diaper stash = we have 5 Flip covers, 13 Organic Flip prefolds, 1 Flip Stay Dry insert (don't like it and almost never use it), 1 Econobum cover with an accompanying prefold (I do like this system, but no as much as the Flip), 1 Grobaby one size cover with snap in soaker pad (I received this set for free, and I DO NOT LIKE IT; we only use it as a back up when all our other diapers are in the wash), 1 dozen unbleached Chinese prefolds (we use these with our Flip covers), 3 dozen homemade flannel wipes, and a Snappi .



2 comments:
We have a new store right around the corner from where Mom and Dad Wedding leave and it is all eco-baby things. I thought of you instantly Kibbie. Oh and Jonathan is so adorable! His chubby legs are adorable too. I can't wait for Christmas, Titus will have so much fun with his big cousin.
Love,
Candace
This was such an informative post! I loved learning all about your cloth diapering! I may even consider it, especially because I'm going more "organic" in most aspects of life. Also love the pictures, you have one photogenic boy! He did so well modeling these diapers! I hope I get to see you again and meet him one day!
Post a Comment